• Trade effluent

    If your business is discharging non-household sewage (trade effluent) to the public sewer, you will need to obtain consent.

    From large food and drink manufacturing sites to car washes and laundrettes, all these businesses need trade effluent consent.

    Mobile businesses such as car valeting services and cleaning operations (stonework and fire damage) need consents along with businesses who are carrying out cleaning operations including vehicle washing.

    Consent is required because trade effluent discharges from business and industrial premises can have harmful effects including damage to sewers, sewage treatment processes and watercourses.

    Discharges above five cubic metres (m 3 ) per day generally require a full consent.

    Short term discharges such as chemical cleaning of chilled and hot water heating systems require prior authorisation but may not require a full consent.

  • Discharges that do not require consent include:

    • wastewater from toilet flushing, hand basins, showers and canteens
    • sewage from certain types of businesses such as schools, restaurants, takeaways, holiday parks and nursing homes.

    If you need to apply for consent or unsure whether you need it, please contact us.

    Contact us Trade effluent consent
  • Need to apply for trade consent or have any questions?

    Contact us